21 December 2010

Jambo mzungu!

It was almost like getting a warm welcome-home-hug when I arrived in Kenya after a long sleepless night travelling from Qatar to Nairobi. It was a night filled with too many airplane meals and a heavy load of homesickness. I arrived weary and drained in Nairobi with tears still stinging my eyes. I filled out my visa application and waited in line. I walked up to the counter and handed over my papers and passport.

“How long are you staying in Kenya, madam?”
“No longer than 30 days, sir”
“Well, I’m giving you a visa for three months and you’re not allowed to leave before it expires”, said the man handling my papers with a big smile and a laugh. “Welcome to Kenya, madam, I hope you enjoy your stay”.

Could Kenya give a better first impression? Absolutely not! I walked out to collect my bags and went to figure out how on earth I could make my way into Nairobi. I was called over by a smiling man in a transportation booth who wondered if I was in need of a taxi, which obviously I was. I told him where I needed to go and he gave me a price. Still being skeptic by nature after a month in India I was certain he was ripping me off based on my skin color and my ragged backpacker-look. I dismissed his offer as overprized and with no further a due pulled out my new Bible, the LP East Africa. To my surprise the price they had listed for a taxi from the airport to the city centre was higher than what I had been offered, and I felt extremely stupid when I looked up at the man, who was still smiling, and had to admit that he had given me a good prize. The deal was made and I gave the exact address to where my hostel was located. It turned out that this was a distance outside the centre which would cost more, but the friendly gentlemen decided to overlook this small detail. He thereafter walked me out to my taxi, introduced me to my driver and welcomed me to Kenya. My driver turned out to be a very chatty and pleasant man, and the 40 minute drive was over before I knew it.

I arrived at the hostel and was once again greeted by a Kenyan with a big smile which beams of friendliness and warmth. She helped me settle in a dorm before she gave me a tour of the premises which included the bar, the leopard-draped lounge area and the “watchdog” Scooby who prefers a belly-rub. She finished off by saying: “Welcome to Kenya, and make yourself at home”.

My homesickness faded as my heart grew fonder of Kenya and its ppl. Maybe the reason is as simple as it seems; that it hasn’t really faded but has been satisfied. Because I did very much feel at home after just a few hours, and I have ever since.

Looks like I may have found a third home in Kenya

2 comments:

  1. Har lest gjennom en del av postene dine nå, Kine, og må si meg utrolig imponert og misunnelig. Det er beintøft gjort av deg å reise rundt jorda helt alene, uten tvil minner for livet.

    Flotte bilder, også! Kos deg videre på tur :-)

    -Lars

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tusen takk for hyggelig kommentar, Lars Jaakko. Livet som verdensborger på besøk i vår store, lille verden er upåklagelig!

    - KR

    ReplyDelete